Skip directly to content

Nichole Cable Child Missing For Eighteen Days Now

Like us on fb

NSW Family and Community Services's picture
on Mon, 05/20/2013 - 10:31
Fight Child Protection Department Corruption: 
Nichole Cable Child Missing For Eighteen Days Now

Nichole Cable Child Missing For Eighteen Days Now

Since 1971, seven Maine children reported missing have not been found

BANGOR, Maine — Dozens of children are reported missing every month in the state, but almost all are found or return on their own within a couple of days or even hours, Maine Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Friday.
Only about once a decade does a child go missing for longer than a few days, he said.
Friday marked the fifth day since 15-year-old Nichole Cable was reported missing from her Glenburn home. She was last seen on Sunday evening on Route 221 in her hometown and an intense search involving multiple law enforcement agencies has ensued.
“Missing children [who aren’t soon located], and there are only a handful, go back 40 years,” McCausland said.
Six children in addition to Cable have been reported missing in Maine since 1971 and have not yet been found, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and media reports.
Aside from Cable, the most recent case of a child missing for a significant length of time is Ayla Reynolds, who was last seen 18 months ago.
Reynolds was 20 months old when she was reported missing from her father’s Waterville home on Dec. 17, 2011. McCausland said on Friday there have been no new developments in the case. Police continue to investigate her disappearance, although they have stated they do not think she will be found alive.

Ayla Reynolds’ disappearance is not the only open missing child case in Maine.
Douglas Charles Chapman, then 3, of Alfred was reported missing June 2, 1971; Cathy Marie Moulton, 16, of Portland was reported missing Sept. 24, 1971; Kurt Ronald Newton, 4, of Manchester was reported missing Sept. 1, 1975; Bernard Ross, 18, of Ashland was reported missing May 12, 1977; and Kimberly Ann Moreau, 17, of Jay was reported missing May 11, 1986.
Chapman was last seen playing by a sandpile about 25 yards from his home in Alfred while his mother was inside on the phone and his father was at work, according to a Maine State Police website dedicated to missing Mainers.
Moulton was last seen in downtown Portland, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children’s website.
Newton wandered away from his family’s campsite at the Chain of Ponds Public Reserve Land near Coburn Gore on the Quebec border, according to media reports. He was last seen riding his tricycle at the campsite while his mother was out of sight washing muddy shoes.
Moreau was last seen in the company of an individual she met earlier in the day and foul play is suspected, the state police website states.
Two older Maine teenagers who disappeared years ago also remain unaccounted for.
Bonnie Ledford, 19, of Dedham, who went missing in 1980, and Angel Antonio Torres, 19, of the Saco-Biddeford area, who was reported missing by his family on May 24, 1999, are listed on the state police website.
Foul play is suspected in both cases.
Nationally, more than 700,000 children are reported missing each year, according to the website The Amber Alert program is a voluntary partnership between law enforcement agencies, broadcasters, transportation agencies and the wireless industry to activate an urgent bulletin in the most serious child abduction cases, according to its website.
Cable’s disappearance did not meet the qualifications to issue an Amber Alert, Penobscot County Sheriff Glenn Ross said on Friday.
“It has to be an abduction [to qualify for an Amber Alert]. This came in as a missing person,” said Ross. “We also have to be able to put out information immediately such as a white vehicle traveling on the interstate, not just an all-points bulletin.”
The three criteria for an Amber Alert include a reported abduction of a child 17 or younger; belief that the missing child is in imminent danger of physical harm or death; and there is information available to disseminate to the public that could aid in finding the child and/or apprehend a suspect.
Ross said the Sheriff’s Department used other means for getting Cable’s disappearance out quickly, such as contacting media and alerting the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
“We circulated through all of our means that were available to us,” said Ross.
Social media, particularly Facebook, has also provided an avenue for people to spread the word about Cable’s disappearance. The Facebook group Bring Nichole Cable Home had more than 5,000 members as of Friday.
The social network site has been criticized because of people creating fake profiles in order to meet teenagers, which may have happened in Cable’s case. The Facebook group, as well as fliers seeking Cable, say that Cable may have been lured by someone using a fake Facebook profile.
Ellsworth police Detective Dotty Small asked parents on the Ellsworth Police Department’s Facebook page to monitor their children’s profiles and friends.
Small said she received a message from a woman who received a friend request from a male who was also friends with several area teenagers. The woman did an image search on the person’s profile picture and discovered it had been lifted from the Internet.
Small asked parents to sit down with their children and go through each of the people on their friends list and delete those they don’t know.
“I’m not saying spy on your kids, I’m saying have open communication with them,” said Small.
Many teenagers have more than one Facebook profile — one for family to see and one for friends to see, she said.
According to its website, Facebook cooperates “with law enforcement where appropriate and to the extent required by law to ensure the safety of the people who use Facebook. We may disclose information pursuant to subpoenas, court orders or other requests (including criminal and civil matters) if we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law.”
“We may also share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to prevent fraud or other illegal activity, to prevent imminent bodily harm, or to protect ourselves and you from people violating our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, courts or other government entities,” continued the statement.
In 2010, A 33-year-old British man was sentenced to life in prison after kidnapping, raping and murdering a 17-year-old girl he lured through Facebook by using a fake profile.
A Texas man was sentenced to 118 years in prison in 2010 after he was convicted of three counts of felony aggravated sexual assault of a minor and one count of felony criminal solicitation of a minor. Alfedo Ramirez Jr. searched Facebook and MySpace for victims. After gaining their trust, he arranged to meet with the person to sexually assault them.
“Tell them what’s happening and what’s dangerous and try to keep them safe,” Small said.
BDN Alex Barber and Nok-Noi Ricker

Nichole Cable Knew The Man Accused Of Killing Her, Friend Says

BANGOR, Maine — Police laid out their case Wednesday against a man accused of killing a 15-year-old girl whose body was found in a wooded area miles from her home, but the details remained hidden from public view after a judge sealed a crucial affidavit at the request of the suspect's lawyer.

Kyle Dube showed no emotion as he made an initial court appearance Wednesday, a day after he was charged with murder when a body believed to be Nichole Cable's was found in Old Town. A bail hearing will be held later.

Justice William Anderson ordered a state police affidavit impounded at the request of Dube's lawyer, Steve Smith, who said he was concerned about pretrial publicity. The affidavit will remain sealed until after a grand jury can consider the case, the judge said.

Several of Nichole's friends were in court wearing shirts in her favorite color, neon yellow, in her honor.

Jessica Brideau said Dube, who worked at an organization that cares for people with disabilities, "seemed really nice in the beginning."

"I just never thought he would do something like this," said Brideau, 20, of Old Town. "It sickens me."

Ashley Pattershall, a 16-year-old sophomore at Old Town High School, said she last spoke with Nichole on May 11, the night before she disappeared.

"She said, `I'll see you at school,'" Pattershall said.

Dube, 20, already had been interviewed by authorities about Nichole's disappearance before he reported to jail Friday to begin serving a sentence for fleeing police on a motorcycle at more than 100 mph, Deputy Attorney General William Stokes said Wednesday. Stokes said investigators are confident he was the only person involved in Nichole's death.

Nichole Cable Knew The Man Accused Of Killing Her, Friend Says

Dube knew Nichole, according to her friends, but the nature of his relationship with her remained unclear. So, too, the role of social media. Nichole's family has said she vanished after going outside her house to see someone she'd met on Facebook.

Friends said Wednesday that someone set up a fictitious Facebook account under another man's name for the purpose of reaching out to area teenagers. They called the fake account unsettling.

"I'm going home to just delete a bunch of people off there," Brideau said. "I don't know who to trust. It's hard to trust people on those networks."

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson confirmed that social media was an aspect of the case but declined to elaborate.

Several of Nichole's family members attended the hearing Wednesday but left without speaking to reporters.

Tyler-Ann Harris, 16, who described herself as Nichole's best friend, said a day earlier that Dube and Nichole planned to see each other the weekend she vanished, before he was required to report to jail. Harris, who attended Old Town High School with Nichole, said she was surprised that Dube was charged in her death because she thought the two got along.

Dozens of law enforcement officers, using aircraft and dogs, and hundreds of civilian volunteers had spent days searching for the teen, who lived in Glenburn, just west of Old Town. The body believed to be hers was found Monday night by a warden who was searching the woods with a dog.

Although autopsy results are pending, law enforcement officials say they believe Nichole was killed the day she disappeared.

Prosecutors intend to have Dube held without bail pending trial. 


This June 2012 photo provided by the Penobscot County Jail via Maine State Police shows Kyle Dube, of Orono, Maine. Dube, 20, was charged Tuesday, May 21, 2013 with murder in the death of Nichole Cable, who was last seen May 12, 2013. Police say a body found in the woods on Monday night is likely that of the high school student. (AP Photo/Penobscot County Jail via Maine State Police)



NSW Family and Community Services's picture

Its hard to write through all the tears and I am probably a bit hysterical, trauma does that to people. No woman or child deserves to die alone in the bush. Not in the woods not in a paddock. It is so hard to write this, you poor girl.